Editor, Global Government Forum
Pendragon International Media Ltd
Could you help government leaders to build a new global community?
Global Government Forum, the website for senior government officials around the world, seeks an Editor to manage and develop our news, features and interviews coverage.
The successful candidate will take responsibility for our website, www.globalgovernmentforum.com, which serves a global audience of civil service leaders and managers – the public servants who, working for elected ministers, oversee policymaking and service delivery in national governments.
Global Government Forum exists to help civil service leaders to meet shared policy challenges, lead government organisations, reshape public services and develop their careers. We provide editorial coverage, events and research free of charge to an audience of 300,000 public sector professionals on six continents, enabling them to learn from their peers overseas and to keep up to date with events in their own countries.
This is a full-time, permanent role based at Global Government Forum’s office near Rickmansworth Underground Station. However, there is potential for the right candidate to work from home for a proportion of their time.
The Editor will report to the Editorial Director on editorial and production matters; but they’ll also work closely with the Chief Executive on new projects, and with sales and events colleagues as required.
The Editor’s role involves:
- Editing news, features, interviews and analysis – including queries, sub-editing, writing headlines and subheads, selecting pictures, writing captions, and uploading on www.globalgovernmentforum.com (GGF), the website for senior civil servants around the world;
- Writing, news, features, interviews and analysis for GGF – particularly on the use of digital technologies by national civil services;
- Monitoring the operation of GGF’s automated daily email bulletins;
- Representing GGF at functions, and reporting from events and conferences;
- Contributing to the research, planning and delivery of new editorial, research and events projects, with work including market research, business planning and content management;
- Supporting and advising on the development of a forward-looking content plan;
- Using SEO techniques to maximise audience numbers, and web analytics to track visitor behaviour;
- Writing copy to explain and promote Pendragon International Media’s portfolio of services;
- Advising and collaborating with clients, and producing copy for them;
- Managing the @globegov Twitter account: tweeting new GGF articles, retweeting interesting content, and expanding its reach;
- Developing and delivering a new social media strategy.
The role may develop to include:
- Commissioning and scheduling news, features and interviews;
- Managing and developing GGF’s global network of freelance journalists.
We have framed the Person Specification to avoid excluding suitable candidates who may lack, for example, professional qualifications or experience of writing for our audience. However, please note that this is an Editor’s role, and as such will demand advanced editorial skills and the ability to work unsupervised on sub-editing, production and product development.
- Researching and writing news, interviews and features for a specialist or professional audience;
- Sub-editing, including proof-reading, fact-checking and headline-writing.
- Uploading and publishing regular content on a website.
- Approving and passing content for publication;
- Serving an international and/or public service audience;
- Commissioning freelancers and organising interviews;
- Researching new markets, and contributing to editorial product development;
- Good contacts in politics, government and/or public service delivery.
Expertise & Skills
- Excellent sub-editing, querying and fact-checking skills;
- Strong research skills.
- A knowledge of public sector management and service delivery issues, and of the operation of democratic government(s);
- An understanding of digital technologies and their use by national governments;
- Use of website analytics and SEO techniques;
- Foreign language skills.
- Demonstrable interest in the operation of government and the wider public sector;
- Ability to work closely with colleagues in a small team;
- Ability to work unsupervised to a high standard of quality;
- Good ideas generation and commercial awareness.
- Ability to work in GGF’s Rickmansworth office as and when required.
- Readiness to work out of hours as required to hit deadlines at busy times.
- Degree-level qualification, or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Journalism degree or diploma.
About Pendragon International Media
Pendragon, the publisher of Global Government Forum, is a fast-growing small business that helps senior civil servants around the world to meet policy, management and service delivery challenges by building their skills, knowledge and connections. Founded by Kevin Sorkin, the former publisher of UK specialist title Civil Service World, we provide editorial content, research and events free of charge to this very senior, expert and influential audience. For more information, see Pendragon International Media
How to apply
First take a look at www.globalgovernmentforum.com. Then please send your CV and a covering letter of 500-1000 words, explaining why your skills, experience and interests make you the right person for the job – and addressing the Person Specification – to [email protected].
The closing date is Monday 28 January 2019.