Contract Type: Permanent
Contract Hours: Full Time
Remuneration/ Pay rate: GBP 45k to 50k depending on experience
Could you help to develop a global community of government leaders?
Purpose of the role
Global Government Forum exists to help civil service leaders to meet shared policy challenges, lead government organisations, reshape public services and develop their careers.
We provide editorial coverage, events and research to an audience of 300,000 public sector professionals on six continents, enabling them to learn from their peers overseas and to keep up to date with events in their own countries.
We are looking for an individual with at least six years’ experience, who has sound journalistic ability and public sector expertise to lead our editorial team. Their primary responsibilities will be to oversee the Global Government Forum website and build an engaged audience of senior civil servants, as well as supporting the events and research departments.
The successful candidate will have excellent editing skills, alongside a strong desire to own, lead and develop our editorial product.
The role will report to the Managing Editor and, when Covid restrictions allow, will be located at our office in St Albans.
Main responsibilities include:
- Take strategic responsibility for all editorial Global Government Forum, reporting directly to the Managing Editor
- Plan and deliver an engaging range of editorial to deliver strategic objectives for the website and engage a global audience of civil servants
- Commission editorial – from news to features – from professional journalists and community contributors around the world
- Edit all news and features
- Write features, analysis and interviews
- Manage and develop the editor and community and content co-ordinator
- Oversee social media outreach to maximise audience engagement
- Monitor and analyse website and social media statistics to ensure growth, engagement and development of the product
- Collaborate with commercial team to develop an engaging agenda for webinars. Tasks include chairing (where interested), writing synopses, invites and supporting the events teams with panel suggestions
- Lead on sponsored editorial projects, supporting commercial colleagues with both design and delivery
- Collaborate with research team with design and delivery of projects
- Represent GGF at events (both in-person and online).
Knowledge and experience:
- At least six years’ experience of journalism
- Knowledge of public sector management and service delivery issues, and of the operation of democratic governments
- Demonstrable experience of leading a website including writing, planning, commissioning and editing for B2B publication Experience of developing and supporting delivery of events
- Experience of supporting audience research projects
- An interesting in experimenting with community engagement projects
- Experience of managing commercial clients and balancing editorial and business demands
- Ability to manage teams and develop their skills
- Understanding of UK publishing laws
- Foreign language skills – desirable
Please read the Job Description and Person Specification; then send your CV and a covering letter explaining why your experience, skills and knowledge make you the right person for this job to Kevin Sorkin, CEO at [email protected].
Closing date Monday 7 June 2021 or before if the right candidate is found.